Supporting Students at HomeMarch 20, 2020
Tips for Guiding Children through School ShutdownsApril 15, 2020
By: Jovana Cupac
Easter is upon us once again! Besides indulging in an enormous amount of chocolate from your egg hunts and creating hand crafted Easter hats for your (virtual) school parade, what else can we learn about Easter?
Did you know?
- Approximately 90 million chocolate Easter bunnies are made each year.
- The tallest Easter egg chocolate was made in Italy in 2011. It stood at 10.39 meters and weighed an astounding 7,200 kg
- Some children leave out carrots for the Easter bunny in case he gets hungry.
Start a Conversation:
We know how exciting Easter can be for students so let’s grab our baskets and combine our chocolates with some great Easter Books! We have found 10 of our favourite books on Easter to share with you! All the books are listed on Renaissance Accelerated Reader which means they are levelled for difficulty and interest level and AR students can access a comprehension quiz afterwards! Additionally, we recommend starting a conversation with your students on Easter and what it means to them with their peers. Here are some sample questions:
- What do you like about Easter?
- What traditions does your family have? How do you celebrate Easter?
- What do you leave out for the Easter bunny?
10 Easter books to read this Easter:
- Max’s Easter Surprise by Rosemary Wells | ATOS Book Level 1.7 AR Book Finder Link
Impatient for the Easter parade to come, Max creates his own parade with decorated eggs made by Ruby and Louise.
- Follow that Easter Egg! by Trey King | ATOS Book Level 2.9 AR Book Finder Link
Greedy LEGO crooks Barry and Larry plot to steal a priceless golden egg that is being delivered by two rookie cops to a new museum against a backdrop of a LEGO Easter festival in the park.
- The Berenstain Bears and the Easter Story by Jan Berenstain | ATOS Book Level 3.3 AR Book Finder Link
The Bear cubs are candy-crazy at Easter until Missus Ursula and some Sunday school students tell the cubs about Jesus’s resurrection and show them that salvation is much sweeter than candy. The coauthor is Mike Berenstain.
- Emma the Easter Fairy by Daisy Meadows | ATOS Book Level 3.6 AR Book Finder Link
Every year, Emma the Easter Fairy paints the three special eggs that make Easter sparkle. But this year, Jack Frost has ruined everything!
- The Easter Egg Haunt by Tom B. Stone | ATOS Book Level 3.8 AR Book Finder Link
David Pike takes his younger brother Richie to an Easter egg hunt at Graveyard School. But the fun quickly turns scary when a mutant rabbit hops into the scene.
- The Easter Story by Anita Ganeria | ATOS Book Level 4.2 AR Book Finder Link
This book tells the story of the crucifixion and death of Jesus and how he later rose from the dead.
- Llama Llama Easter Egg by Anna Dewdney | ATOS Book Level 1.4 AR Book Finder Link
Llama Llama gets jelly beans, colourful eggs, and a fluffy surprise on Easter.
- The Easter Island Incident by Terrance Dicks | ATOS Book Level 4.9 AR Book Finder Link
When a researcher is killed by one of the statues on Easter Island, Matt and his father are called upon to investigate a mystery that no one else is able to understand. Is this some sort of supernatural event guided by alien hands?
- Easter by Catherine Chambers | ATOS Book Level 4.9 AR Book Finder Link
This book introduces the festival of Easter and explains how it is celebrated all over the world.
- The Mysteries of Easter Island by World Book Editors | ATOS Book Level 8.2 AR Book Finder Link
This book explores the questions and mysteries that have puzzled scholars and experts about the remote location of Easter Island.
We wish you a Happy Easter from the Renaissance Team.